The Koʻolaupoko Hawaiian Civic Club was first established in August, 1937, by a group of kamaʻāina residents of the Kāneʻohe area. It became chartered with the State Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs at the Association’s first annual convention in 1959.
Among its founding members were renowned hula master Aunty Kauʻi Zuttermeister, George Keʻehukulani Cypher, George Houghtailing, Johnny Townsend, Isaac Kanakanui, and Solomon Halualani. Its membership numbered in the thousands during those early days, when each of the founding members enlisted Hawaiians and “Hawaiians at heart”. According to some of the club’s elders, active members came from all over the windward side, from Makapuʻu to Waimea Bay.
Today, the Civic Club continues its effort to support the culture and heritage of Native Hawaiians through its educational and service programs, community outreach, and participation in the Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs.
Membership in the club is open to all Native Hawaiians and to those who are “Hawaiian at heart”. A “Hawaiian at heart” is defined as someone of non Hawaiian ancestry who loves our islands, our culture, and our native people. Dues are nominal, and the club’s range of activities include field trips and outings to cultural sites, workshops, informational and educational meetings, participation in various community events, service projects, picnics, social gatherings, and the monitoring and advocating of legislative happenings that benefit (or hurt) Native Hawaiians and our koʻolaupoko community.
In addition to monthly meetings and activities, club members take time to mālama and advocate for Mauna ʻAla (Royal Mausoleum), the Lunalio crypt at Kawaihaʻo Church, Haiku Valley, Heʻeia wetlands, Kawaʻewaʻe Heiau in Kāneʻohe, and Kukuianiani Heiau in Waikane.
The Koʻolaupoko Hawaiian Civic Club is a member club of the Oʻahu Council of the Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs.